Sunday, April 18, 2010

Always "On the Clock"

I think that we can all learn a great lesson from the situation that “Big” Ben Roethlisberger is going through right now. I’m not saying that I think we can learn how to handle accusations of sexual assault, so get that out of your head. The lesson that we can learn is to understand that we are always “on the clock” when it comes to our reputation and character.

My reputation and my character are two things that are mine and mine alone. Only I have to the power to add to them and only I have the power to tarnish them. Everything I do in life puts my reputation and character on the line and therefore, there is no time when I am not accountable for my actions. My action and inaction combine to show the world who I truly am. When I place myself in good situations and act appropriately my reputation and character benefit and when I place myself in bad situations and act inappropriately they suffer. Sometimes being in a bad situation is enough to damage my reputation and character, even if I did nothing wrong.

Roethlisberger made a very foolish decision by putting himself in a position where his reputation and character took a huge hit. Even if it turns out that he did nothing legally wrong—his reputation and character have suffered and will continue to suffer. Regardless that he is a professional athlete, this is a situation that none of us should put ourselves in.

We are always “on the clock” and our reputation and character is always on the line. It matters what we do, what we say, how we say it and the situations we put ourselves in. There are no “do overs” in life and once we put ourselves in a bad spot the best thing to do is own up to it and begin to rebuild our reputation and character. It takes years to build sound character and a good reputation and it takes only a second to ruin them.

How important is someone’s reputation and character to you? Would you trust someone that has repeatedly put themselves in bad situations, even if they do nothing wrong? Feel free to leave your opinions and your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment